Soham mum Sam completes London Marathon and raises thousands for Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two from Soham successfully completed the London Marathon on Sunday and raised more than £3,600 for Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Sam MacEachern decided to take on her first marathon in aid of the charity after it gave her a place to stay just seconds away from her one-year-old daughter Evie when she underwent skull surgery at Oxford Children’s Hospital.
The charity provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation to families with children in hospital.
The 35-year-old mum only started running in March 2015 but decided to challenge herself to complete the 26-mile-long run around the capital.
In preparation for the marathon, Sam trained three times a week and set up a local running group called Soham Runners with other mums at her children’s school – The Shade Primary School - to help keep her on track.
“Ronald McDonald House Charities was a lifeline for me when Evie was in hospital,” she said, “which is why I ran the London Marathon to raise money for them.
“The house meant I could be just a minute away from my little girl whilst she was recovering without having the financial strain of paying hundreds of pounds each time for a hotel.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
“I still can’t believe how much money I’ve managed to raise.
“The charity relies on supporters and fundraisers to continue its amazing work, so hopefully my final total will help plenty of other families who find themselves in a similar situation to mine.”
Donations to Sam can still be made at: www.justgiving.com/Samantha-MacEachern
To find out more about Ronald McDonald House Charities visit: www.rmhc.org.uk