Soham mum Sam completes London Marathon and raises thousands for Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Credit: Archant
A mum-of-two from Soham successfully completed the London Marathon on Sunday and raised more than £3,600 for Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Sam MacEachern decided to take on her first marathon in aid of the charity after it gave her a place to stay just seconds away from her one-year-old daughter Evie when she underwent skull surgery at Oxford Children’s Hospital.
The charity provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation to families with children in hospital.
The 35-year-old mum only started running in March 2015 but decided to challenge herself to complete the 26-mile-long run around the capital.
In preparation for the marathon, Sam trained three times a week and set up a local running group called Soham Runners with other mums at her children’s school – The Shade Primary School - to help keep her on track.
You may also want to watch:
“Ronald McDonald House Charities was a lifeline for me when Evie was in hospital,” she said, “which is why I ran the London Marathon to raise money for them.
“The house meant I could be just a minute away from my little girl whilst she was recovering without having the financial strain of paying hundreds of pounds each time for a hotel.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
“I still can’t believe how much money I’ve managed to raise.
“The charity relies on supporters and fundraisers to continue its amazing work, so hopefully my final total will help plenty of other families who find themselves in a similar situation to mine.”
Donations to Sam can still be made at: www.justgiving.com/Samantha-MacEachern
To find out more about Ronald McDonald House Charities visit: www.rmhc.org.uk