Soham man aims to give something back to world-famous children’s hospital
- Credit: Archant
SOHAM’S Kevin Byrne will put his pedal power to the test when he takes on a gruelling 100-mile cycle challenge to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity after he was treated at the hospital as a child.
Kevin, 37, a computer games developer, will be one of the 20,000 cyclists taking part in the first ever Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100 on Sunday.
The challenge, which takes off from the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and ends on The Mall, will follow Olympic cycle routes around Surrey’s famous Box Hill and along the Thames.
Kevin was admitted to the hospital at just four-years-of-age where he was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma, a form of blood cancer which had spread to his kidneys.
Thankfully Kevin recovered after two years of treatment.
He said: “Though my chances weren’t great, thanks to all at GOSH, by 1982 the tumour was gone I have never forgotten what the hospital has done for me and they hold a very special place in my heart.
“It is an honour to be able to raise money for them at this fantastic event and it’ll be another memory I have shared with GOSH that I’ll keep for the rest of my life”
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 7 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 8 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Kevin has been training with long cycle rides on evenings and weekends and is relying on donations from friends, families and colleagues. To support Kevin and donate to the charity please visit http://www.justgiving.com/kevin-byrne1