Soham man aims to give something back to world-famous children’s hospital
- Credit: Archant
SOHAM’S Kevin Byrne will put his pedal power to the test when he takes on a gruelling 100-mile cycle challenge to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity after he was treated at the hospital as a child.
Kevin, 37, a computer games developer, will be one of the 20,000 cyclists taking part in the first ever Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100 on Sunday.
The challenge, which takes off from the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and ends on The Mall, will follow Olympic cycle routes around Surrey’s famous Box Hill and along the Thames.
Kevin was admitted to the hospital at just four-years-of-age where he was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma, a form of blood cancer which had spread to his kidneys.
Thankfully Kevin recovered after two years of treatment.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Though my chances weren’t great, thanks to all at GOSH, by 1982 the tumour was gone I have never forgotten what the hospital has done for me and they hold a very special place in my heart.
“It is an honour to be able to raise money for them at this fantastic event and it’ll be another memory I have shared with GOSH that I’ll keep for the rest of my life”
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 8 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
Kevin has been training with long cycle rides on evenings and weekends and is relying on donations from friends, families and colleagues. To support Kevin and donate to the charity please visit http://www.justgiving.com/kevin-byrne1