Soham homeowner forced to flee after kitchen goes up in smoke

PUBLISHED: 17:27 04 April 2013 | UPDATED: 17:31 04 April 2013

fire engine

fire engine

Archant

A SOHAM resident was forced to flee their home after a fire broke out on Thursday morning.

A fire crew from Ely and one from Soham were called to reports of a house fire in Heron Croft shortly after 9am.

The fire started in a faulty fuse box located in the kitchen and quickly spread to a fridge, causing the room to fill with smoke.

Four firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, used two CO2 extinguishers and one hose reel to put out the fire.

The kitchen has been severely smoke damaged and the rest of the house has also suffered heavy smoke damage. The owner of the home was in the property but managed to get out before firefighters arrived.

Crews returned to their stations by 10.30am.

The cause of the fire was accidental, believed to be an electrical fault.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard