Soham could be set for a weekly market as part of new team’s plans to give the town a face-lift
- Credit: Archant
A weekly market could be coming to Soham as part of plans to rejuvenate the town centre.
The new Soham Town Team, made up of shop and business owners, plan to the make the town centre more attractive to visitors and customers through a schedule of events, activities and promotions.
The strategy has been written with the input of 20 shops and business from the area and the first initiative will involve Soham Pumpkin Fair on September 24.
Previously, shops in the area have never played an active part in the event but this year they will be encouraged to dress their windows in an autumnal style and run a raffle.
Councillor Carol Sennitt, chairman of Soham Town Team said: “We are very much hoping that the shops and businesses will get behind our first promotional activity and dress their windows as this will create such a visual impact.
You may also want to watch:
“The team will be working hard to encourage their fellow shopkeepers to put their creative hats on and make this launch event the talk of the town.”
The team is also looking into the option of introducing a town centre market and plans to review the general appearance of the town centre.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
East Cambridgeshire District Council is working with Soham Town Council to roll out the Town Team partnership which follows in the footsteps of teams in Ely and Littleport.
The town team initiatives have been a big hit in East Cambridgeshire, with events such as the return of the Littleport community market proving popular.