Christmas lights house donations raise £12,895
- Credit: Terry Harris
The couple behind Soham's Christmas lights house has thanked visitors for their generosity, having raised £12,895.57 for three charities close to their hearts.
Helen and John Attlesey said the 2020 fundraising total is more than double the previous year's - despite the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The money will be divided between three charities that have helped their grandson: East Anglia's Children's Hospices, Great Ormond Street Hospital and Dreamflight, who take a group of children to Disneyland each year.
Helen said: "We didn’t know how we’d do because of Covid-19, but we thought we’d put them out anyway and see how it goes.
"We weren’t sure if anyone would come out or do anything because times are tough. So for people to be so generous, we’re really so thankful."
You may also want to watch:
When the retired couple counted up how much had been raised from donations, they kept totting it up and thought 'wouldn’t it be nice to get around £10,000.
"We couldn’t believe it. We would like to thank everybody who has donated, because each of the charities will now receive £4,298.52."
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 4 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 5 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 6 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 9 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 10 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail