Christmas lights house donations raise £12,895
- Credit: Terry Harris
The couple behind Soham's Christmas lights house has thanked visitors for their generosity, having raised £12,895.57 for three charities close to their hearts.
Helen and John Attlesey said the 2020 fundraising total is more than double the previous year's - despite the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The money will be divided between three charities that have helped their grandson: East Anglia's Children's Hospices, Great Ormond Street Hospital and Dreamflight, who take a group of children to Disneyland each year.
Helen said: "We didn’t know how we’d do because of Covid-19, but we thought we’d put them out anyway and see how it goes.
"We weren’t sure if anyone would come out or do anything because times are tough. So for people to be so generous, we’re really so thankful."
You may also want to watch:
When the retired couple counted up how much had been raised from donations, they kept totting it up and thought 'wouldn’t it be nice to get around £10,000.
"We couldn’t believe it. We would like to thank everybody who has donated, because each of the charities will now receive £4,298.52."
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 3 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 4 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 5 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 6 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 9 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 10 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council