Soham Carnival is back for 2017 - and is bigger than ever
- Credit: Archant
The biggest event in the Soham calendar is just around the corner – the Soham Carnival.
This year’s instalment, on May 29, will welcome a Fun Dog Show for the first time, judged by celebrity dog trainer and behaviourist Sian Ryan.
In the carnival’s main area is the traditional heavy horse show, followed by the judging of the parade floats. The parade itself starts from Qua Fen Common at 1pm and moves through the town before arriving for judging at 1.45pm.
The carnival princess, Fern Miller, will be involved in the parade with attendants Libby Bevis Bowers and Lauren Simcock.
Townsperson of the year, Kevin Kester, is unfortunately unable to judge the floats, so the winner will be picked by a representative from the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Performances from Dangerous Steve, the ACF marching band and the classic car parade will also feature, as well as BMX and scooter competitions at the skate park from 11am until 4pm.
Other attractions include a fun fair, live music, food and drink tents, inflatables and stalls, which are available to hire by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01353 624493.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
The carnival takes place at the Recreation Ground, Fountain Lane, from 9am until 5.30pm.