Soham Carnival is back for 2017 - and is bigger than ever
- Credit: Archant
The biggest event in the Soham calendar is just around the corner – the Soham Carnival.
This year’s instalment, on May 29, will welcome a Fun Dog Show for the first time, judged by celebrity dog trainer and behaviourist Sian Ryan.
In the carnival’s main area is the traditional heavy horse show, followed by the judging of the parade floats. The parade itself starts from Qua Fen Common at 1pm and moves through the town before arriving for judging at 1.45pm.
The carnival princess, Fern Miller, will be involved in the parade with attendants Libby Bevis Bowers and Lauren Simcock.
Townsperson of the year, Kevin Kester, is unfortunately unable to judge the floats, so the winner will be picked by a representative from the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
Performances from Dangerous Steve, the ACF marching band and the classic car parade will also feature, as well as BMX and scooter competitions at the skate park from 11am until 4pm.
Other attractions include a fun fair, live music, food and drink tents, inflatables and stalls, which are available to hire by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 01353 624493.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
The carnival takes place at the Recreation Ground, Fountain Lane, from 9am until 5.30pm.