Soham Carnival 2018 takes place on Bank Holiday Monday
- Credit: Archant
Soham Carnival 2018 takes place on Monday May 28 at Soham Recreation Ground from 9am to 5.30pm.
In the main arena from 9am-1pm is the Traditional Heavy Horse Show followed by the parade of floats which leaves Holmes Lane in Soham at 1pm arriving in the arena for the judging at 1.45pm.
Carnival prince Emerson Hiller and princess Grace Wright will be in the parade along with their attendants, Erin Latimer, Sophie Cousins and Oliver Coleman.
Organisers have congratulated Freya Bailey who won the competition for the programme front cover design and to Helen and John Attlesey who won townspersons of the year for their Christmas light display they hold every year for charity.
Helen and John will be judging the floats along with special guest Dotty McLoud from BBC radio Cambridgeshire.
There will also be performances from TEAM MAD- a top UK mountain bike ariel display team – as well as a ‘Have a go’ children’s sports event held by Premier Sports.
The fun dog show also returns for its second year. Bring your dog along from 10.30am to 1pm and enter one of the classes. Once again, TV celebrity Sian Ryan - dog trainer and behaviourist from the BBC2 show ‘Me and My Dog’ - will be a judge at this years event.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 4 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 5 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 6 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 7 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 8 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
From 11am-4pm on the skate park are the BMX and scooter competitions
(parental consent form required for under 16’s).
The live music stage starts at 12.45pm with performances from singing compare Michael Antony, Tanisha and Abigail, The A142’s Band, Riff Raff, Viva, KD Theatre, Special Groove and DJ sets from Vinyl Sebas, Jem Howe and Neil Brosnan.
Other attractions include Soham Comrades Band, majorettes, a circus workshop, Punch & Judy, BBQ, stalls, raffle, games, fun fair and more.
Admission costs £3.50 for adults, £2.50 for concessions and 50p for children under the age of 16. Proceeds from the carnival will be distributed to local clubs, organisations, schools and charities.
The main beneficiaries this year are the three primary schools in Soham: St Andrew’s, The Weatheralls and The Shade.
To be considered for a donation for your organisation, charity or club, write to Soham Benevolent Association, 44 Martin’s Close, Soham, CB7 5ES or email -firstname.lastname@example.org by June 18.