LETTER: Councillor Bill Hunt urges Barclays to think again about closing Soham branch
- Credit: Archant
I strongly urge Barclays to discuss a way of keeping the valued Soham branch open.
Soham is a fast expanding town with many new houses scheduled to be built within the next few years.
Business activity is increasing and there is a real feeling that Soham is going places.
As for the impact on the local community, closing your branch (on May 31) is a bit like shooting somebody in the leg and then asking ‘how are you feeling?’
Customers will have to drive to Ely or Newmarket for face to face banking.
You may also want to watch:
It would mean extra traffic on already busy roads, more parking pressures in town centres and more pollution. Real damage to the community.
A good course of action would be to reverse your bank’s decision.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
Soham in the next 5 years: new secondary school, new railway station, new/enlarged GP surgery, new arts centre, an ever expanding and improving football club.
The recently-opened Ely Bypass is also helping Soham business to expand.
The £1.5 BILLION A14/A14(M) is due to open in 2020 which of course will make Soham nearer to the Midlands/North/Scotland and Ireland.
The A14/A142 Junction is due for major improvement making London nearer via M11.
Your plans will harm Soham and the district and I really urge you to think again.
Wise operators are moving into Soham - not out.
Soham South and Haddenham Councillor Bill Hunt