Social media debate in Parliament for students from Ely and Soham
- Credit: Archant
Students were welcomed to Westminster to take part in the final of MP Lucy Frazer’s school debating competition.
The competition was launched to encourage public speaking in schools to help young people with their public speaking skills.
This is the second year of the competition.
Throughout September and October, Ms Frazer judged each school’s teams on debating the motion ‘that this House regrets social media.’
Ms Frazer said: “I have been incredibly impressed with the standard of debating this year, which only made my job as judge much harder.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a very tight competition in which all the students excelled. All of the students who took part showed their ability to construct a coherent and persuasive argument and I hope they enjoyed the experience.
“I would like to thank those students who took part and the teachers who worked so hard and accompanied the students to Westminster.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Two finalists from each school were selected to represent their school in the final.
King’s Ely, Soham Village College, Linton Village College, Bottisham Village College, Ely College and Impington Village College all put forward students to take part in the final, which was held in the Palace of Westminster.
Following a final debate on the motion, Harry Stubbings and Lottie Reade from Bottisham Village College were declared as the winners.