Social media debate in Parliament for students from Ely and Soham
- Credit: Archant
Students were welcomed to Westminster to take part in the final of MP Lucy Frazer’s school debating competition.
The competition was launched to encourage public speaking in schools to help young people with their public speaking skills.
This is the second year of the competition.
Throughout September and October, Ms Frazer judged each school’s teams on debating the motion ‘that this House regrets social media.’
Ms Frazer said: “I have been incredibly impressed with the standard of debating this year, which only made my job as judge much harder.
“It was a very tight competition in which all the students excelled. All of the students who took part showed their ability to construct a coherent and persuasive argument and I hope they enjoyed the experience.
“I would like to thank those students who took part and the teachers who worked so hard and accompanied the students to Westminster.”
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 7 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 8 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Two finalists from each school were selected to represent their school in the final.
King’s Ely, Soham Village College, Linton Village College, Bottisham Village College, Ely College and Impington Village College all put forward students to take part in the final, which was held in the Palace of Westminster.
Following a final debate on the motion, Harry Stubbings and Lottie Reade from Bottisham Village College were declared as the winners.