Snapper’ has prize in focus
A LITTLE Downham man is in the running for a fully-paid job on a national newspaper after being shortlisted for a prestigious national photography prize. Gareth Jones, of Third Drove, is one of six finalists for The Times Young Photographer of the Year Co
A LITTLE Downham man is in the running for a fully-paid job on a national newspaper after being shortlisted for a prestigious national photography prize.
Gareth Jones, of Third Drove, is one of six finalists for The Times Young Photographer of the Year Competition, and is in with a chance to have his flair rewarded with a fully-paid job on the daily newspaper's picture desk.
The 24-year-old, who attended Witchford Village College before going on to study politics in Portsmouth, submitted three photographs and was delighted to hear that he had been short-listed.
"It is brilliant," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"It's very exciting and it's nice to get professional recognition."
Mr Jones said he first developed a passion for photography at university and that the chance to work on The Times' picture desk would be a dream job.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
"I would be ecstatic if I win it - it's the aim of every photo-journalist," he said.
The next stage for Mr Jones will be the submission of a locally-based photo project which he is currently putting together.
He was due to face an interview panel this week, but will have to wait an agonising three-and-a-half weeks to find out if he has won.
INFO: If you would like to see some of Mr Jones' work, visit www.partpixel.co.uk.