Snapper’ has prize in focus
A LITTLE Downham man is in the running for a fully-paid job on a national newspaper after being shortlisted for a prestigious national photography prize. Gareth Jones, of Third Drove, is one of six finalists for The Times Young Photographer of the Year Co
A LITTLE Downham man is in the running for a fully-paid job on a national newspaper after being shortlisted for a prestigious national photography prize.
Gareth Jones, of Third Drove, is one of six finalists for The Times Young Photographer of the Year Competition, and is in with a chance to have his flair rewarded with a fully-paid job on the daily newspaper's picture desk.
The 24-year-old, who attended Witchford Village College before going on to study politics in Portsmouth, submitted three photographs and was delighted to hear that he had been short-listed.
"It is brilliant," he said.
"It's very exciting and it's nice to get professional recognition."
Mr Jones said he first developed a passion for photography at university and that the chance to work on The Times' picture desk would be a dream job.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 7 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
"I would be ecstatic if I win it - it's the aim of every photo-journalist," he said.
The next stage for Mr Jones will be the submission of a locally-based photo project which he is currently putting together.
He was due to face an interview panel this week, but will have to wait an agonising three-and-a-half weeks to find out if he has won.
INFO: If you would like to see some of Mr Jones' work, visit www.partpixel.co.uk.