Snakes Alive at the King's School
SNAKES and lizards were just some of the unusual visitors at King s Acremont in Ely on Friday. Mitch Price, from Cambridge-based Reptile Experience, and Terri Page, a falconer from the Raptor Foundation at St Ives, visited the school as part of a Scien
SNAKES and lizards were just some of the unusual visitors at King's Acremont in Ely on Friday.
Mitch Price, from Cambridge-based Reptile Experience, and Terri Page, a falconer from the Raptor Foundation at St Ives, visited the school as part of a Science Day.
The children got the chance to learn about the life-cycles of reptiles and had the opportunity to take a close look at a tarantula, a scorpion, a blue-tongued skink, a bearded dragon, a tortoise, a chameleon, a royal python and a milk snake.
The milk snake, with its red, white and black colouring, was a favourite with the reception class.
You may also want to watch:
The snake originates in Mexico and got its name because cow sheds are a favourite habitat.
Terri Page brought along Basil, a burrowing owl from America; Goliath, a white-faced scops owl from Africa; Jules, a barn owl; and Ben, a European eagle owl.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
"I was very impressed with the questions the children asked. They were such a confident group," she said, "and because it was such a warm and sunny day we were able to take the birds outside into the school's big garden which was a bonus."
Dr Lynda Brereton, head of King's Acremont, said: "The children were fascinated by everything they got the chance to experience during the day.