Smoking ban results in award for snooker club
FEARS that the smoking ban would have a crippling effect on many businesses were rife. But the innovative owner of an Ely snooker club has won an award for the way she has adapted to the change in law. Nadine Smith and her team at Dean s Club travelled to
FEARS that the smoking ban would have a crippling effect on many businesses were rife. But the innovative owner of an Ely snooker club has won an award for the way she has adapted to the change in law.
Nadine Smith and her team at Dean's Club travelled to Portugal last week to collect the Business Diversification Award in the Greene King Free Trade Excellence Awards.
Now in their fifth year, the awards are held by Greene King Brewing Company to reward independent pubs and clubs across the UK for their success and business acumen in eight competitive categories.
The Business Diversification Award is a category aimed specifically at pubs and clubs that have successfully adapted to the smoking ban by researching the likely effects of the new legislation - the most fundamental challenge of recent years - in order to minimise the impact on their businesses.
Judges praised Ms Smith for her careful study of local competitors.
She installed an outside smoking area and expanded the club's opening hours.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 3 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 9 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 10 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
The interior was refurbished, she launched several promotions launched a website and installed wireless internet throughout the club.
Greene King Brewing Company free trade sales director, Joe Parks, said: "We would like to offer our heart-felt congratulations to Nadine and the team for winning this esteemed award. They have shown a great deal of commitment, as well as passion and flair for making the business a resounding success. Dean's Club is a perfect example of a business that has made the very most of the benefits of working in partnership with Greene King. We look forward to continuing our partnership with such an innovative and successful business."
Nadine Smith, centre right, is pictured with her daughter Naomi Jarman and Joe Parks and Graham Greene from Greene King.