Smoking ban results in award for snooker club
FEARS that the smoking ban would have a crippling effect on many businesses were rife. But the innovative owner of an Ely snooker club has won an award for the way she has adapted to the change in law. Nadine Smith and her team at Dean s Club travelled to
FEARS that the smoking ban would have a crippling effect on many businesses were rife. But the innovative owner of an Ely snooker club has won an award for the way she has adapted to the change in law.
Nadine Smith and her team at Dean's Club travelled to Portugal last week to collect the Business Diversification Award in the Greene King Free Trade Excellence Awards.
Now in their fifth year, the awards are held by Greene King Brewing Company to reward independent pubs and clubs across the UK for their success and business acumen in eight competitive categories.
The Business Diversification Award is a category aimed specifically at pubs and clubs that have successfully adapted to the smoking ban by researching the likely effects of the new legislation - the most fundamental challenge of recent years - in order to minimise the impact on their businesses.
You may also want to watch:
Judges praised Ms Smith for her careful study of local competitors.
She installed an outside smoking area and expanded the club's opening hours.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
The interior was refurbished, she launched several promotions launched a website and installed wireless internet throughout the club.
Greene King Brewing Company free trade sales director, Joe Parks, said: "We would like to offer our heart-felt congratulations to Nadine and the team for winning this esteemed award. They have shown a great deal of commitment, as well as passion and flair for making the business a resounding success. Dean's Club is a perfect example of a business that has made the very most of the benefits of working in partnership with Greene King. We look forward to continuing our partnership with such an innovative and successful business."
Nadine Smith, centre right, is pictured with her daughter Naomi Jarman and Joe Parks and Graham Greene from Greene King.