Smattering of schools remain closed as snow gives way to ice
- Credit: Archant
A HANDFUL of schools in East Cambridgeshire remain closed this morning as Monday’s snow starts to turn to ice.
After more than a dozen were closed yesterday (Monday), normal service seems largely to have resumed, with most schools back open to pupils.
Only Spring Meadow Infant School, in Ely, The Harbour School, in Wilburton, and Stretham Primary School remain closed.
The Met Office had a warning out for ice on untreated road surfaces on for Tuesday.
A spokesman said: “As temperatures fall below freezing on Monday night into Tuesday morning icy stretches are likely on untreated surfaces especially in areas where any further sleet, snow or rain has fallen on Monday.”
You may also want to watch:
The Highways Agency warned of heavy traffic in the morning rush hour on the A10 between the B1411 Downham Road and A1123 Wilburton Road as slow-moving traffic built up.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up