Smattering of schools remain closed as snow gives way to ice
- Credit: Archant
A HANDFUL of schools in East Cambridgeshire remain closed this morning as Monday’s snow starts to turn to ice.
After more than a dozen were closed yesterday (Monday), normal service seems largely to have resumed, with most schools back open to pupils.
Only Spring Meadow Infant School, in Ely, The Harbour School, in Wilburton, and Stretham Primary School remain closed.
The Met Office had a warning out for ice on untreated road surfaces on for Tuesday.
A spokesman said: “As temperatures fall below freezing on Monday night into Tuesday morning icy stretches are likely on untreated surfaces especially in areas where any further sleet, snow or rain has fallen on Monday.”
The Highways Agency warned of heavy traffic in the morning rush hour on the A10 between the B1411 Downham Road and A1123 Wilburton Road as slow-moving traffic built up.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 5 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 8 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?