Smattering of schools remain closed as snow gives way to ice
- Credit: Archant
A HANDFUL of schools in East Cambridgeshire remain closed this morning as Monday’s snow starts to turn to ice.
After more than a dozen were closed yesterday (Monday), normal service seems largely to have resumed, with most schools back open to pupils.
Only Spring Meadow Infant School, in Ely, The Harbour School, in Wilburton, and Stretham Primary School remain closed.
The Met Office had a warning out for ice on untreated road surfaces on for Tuesday.
A spokesman said: “As temperatures fall below freezing on Monday night into Tuesday morning icy stretches are likely on untreated surfaces especially in areas where any further sleet, snow or rain has fallen on Monday.”
You may also want to watch:
The Highways Agency warned of heavy traffic in the morning rush hour on the A10 between the B1411 Downham Road and A1123 Wilburton Road as slow-moving traffic built up.
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 4 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 9 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 10 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business