Slideshow: Ely 2nds beat Wisbech 3rds in 2-0 win
AN impressive defensive display from Ely 2s ensured they picked up all three points in a 2-0 win over Wisbech 3s. In a largely even tussle it was the impregnable Ely defence which took the plaudits as they provided the base from which the home attack was
AN impressive defensive display from Ely 2s ensured they picked up all three points in a 2-0 win over Wisbech 3s.
In a largely even tussle it was the impregnable Ely defence which took the plaudits as they provided the base from which the home attack was able to prosper.
Ely edged ahead in the first-half as they made the most of a general scarcity of opportunities for both sides to seize the advantage.
Keen to build on their first-half display, Ely pushed on in the second period and began to play some expansive hockey with wide players Louise Person and Nan Armer coming to the fore.
You may also want to watch:
Ely didn't have it all their own way however, and the midfield had to battle hard to keep possession from an increasingly more adventurous Wisbech attack. Goalie Laura Tuck was also alert in the home goal to ensure Ely's lead remained in tact.
Despite Wisbech's determined attacks, the home side remained resolute and, having breathed a sight of relief at a disallowed goal for the visitors, made the game safe with just over 10 minutes remaining as the ball was scrambled home from a few yards out.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely