Slideshow: Ely 2nds beat Wisbech 3rds in 2-0 win
AN impressive defensive display from Ely 2s ensured they picked up all three points in a 2-0 win over Wisbech 3s. In a largely even tussle it was the impregnable Ely defence which took the plaudits as they provided the base from which the home attack was
AN impressive defensive display from Ely 2s ensured they picked up all three points in a 2-0 win over Wisbech 3s.
In a largely even tussle it was the impregnable Ely defence which took the plaudits as they provided the base from which the home attack was able to prosper.
Ely edged ahead in the first-half as they made the most of a general scarcity of opportunities for both sides to seize the advantage.
Keen to build on their first-half display, Ely pushed on in the second period and began to play some expansive hockey with wide players Louise Person and Nan Armer coming to the fore.
You may also want to watch:
Ely didn't have it all their own way however, and the midfield had to battle hard to keep possession from an increasingly more adventurous Wisbech attack. Goalie Laura Tuck was also alert in the home goal to ensure Ely's lead remained in tact.
Despite Wisbech's determined attacks, the home side remained resolute and, having breathed a sight of relief at a disallowed goal for the visitors, made the game safe with just over 10 minutes remaining as the ball was scrambled home from a few yards out.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos