Two Ely Cathedral canons sleep overnight in the Galilee porch to raise awareness of the homeless
- Credit: Archant
It was a silent night for two canons of Ely Cathedral who slept out in the bitter winter cold to raise money for homeless charities.
On Saturday (December 15) Canon Jessica Martin and Canon Victoria Johnson wrapped up warm and spent the night in the Galilee porch of the cathedral to raise awareness of the growing problem in Ely and around the country.
Canon Johnson said “Since 2010, there has been a 169 per cent increase in homelessness. 4751 people are estimated to sleep rough.
“We are just trying to do our bit to help and we hope people will sponsor the event generously.”
In 2015, a team from Ely Cathedral raised over £11,000 for the cause.
You may also want to watch:
Canon Martin and Canon Johnson will be accompanied by their respective dogs, Gonzo and Percy.
So far, more than £1,700 has been raised, and anyone else wishing to make a donation should visit https://sleepoutchallenge2018.everydayhero.com/uk/ely-cathedral-sleepout
A donation from the Mayor’s Charity was also given as Mayor of Ely Mike Rouse stopped by to wish them well.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed