Six volunteers join... as one says farewell
SIX new volunteers have joined the Home Start East Cambs team as one of its longest serving volunteers steps down. The volunteers have just completed their 40-hour preparation course and will continue to receive training and supervision as they start work
SIX new volunteers have joined the Home Start East Cambs team as one of its longest serving volunteers steps down.
The volunteers have just completed their 40-hour preparation course and will continue to receive training and supervision as they start working with families in the Ely area.
Kasia Hugo, who joined the scheme in May 2004, said goodbye last month as she plans to move out of the area.
Home-Start offers emotional and practical support to families with young children across the district.
You may also want to watch:
"It is brilliant that these people want to offer their time and energy to families who are finding life tough," said Heidi Welch, senior scheme co-ordinator. "Last year, we could help only half the families who were referred to us. As more parents and grandparents join Home-Start we can respond to more requests for support.
"Often families just want someone to talk to or a bit of help with their young children and this is exactly what a volunteer from Home-Start can do."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
The scheme will be starting small discussion groups in their Ely office in the new year to help parents deal with children's behaviour.
The next course of preparation for volunteers will begin in February and anyone interested should contact the Home-Start office on 01353 663158 or email office@homestarteastcambs to find out more.
Any parents wanting more information about discussion groups should also contact the office.