Six volunteers join... as one says farewell
SIX new volunteers have joined the Home Start East Cambs team as one of its longest serving volunteers steps down. The volunteers have just completed their 40-hour preparation course and will continue to receive training and supervision as they start work
SIX new volunteers have joined the Home Start East Cambs team as one of its longest serving volunteers steps down.
The volunteers have just completed their 40-hour preparation course and will continue to receive training and supervision as they start working with families in the Ely area.
Kasia Hugo, who joined the scheme in May 2004, said goodbye last month as she plans to move out of the area.
Home-Start offers emotional and practical support to families with young children across the district.
"It is brilliant that these people want to offer their time and energy to families who are finding life tough," said Heidi Welch, senior scheme co-ordinator. "Last year, we could help only half the families who were referred to us. As more parents and grandparents join Home-Start we can respond to more requests for support.
"Often families just want someone to talk to or a bit of help with their young children and this is exactly what a volunteer from Home-Start can do."
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 5 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 6 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 7 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
The scheme will be starting small discussion groups in their Ely office in the new year to help parents deal with children's behaviour.
The next course of preparation for volunteers will begin in February and anyone interested should contact the Home-Start office on 01353 663158 or email office@homestarteastcambs to find out more.
Any parents wanting more information about discussion groups should also contact the office.