Sir Jim calls on SE Cambs schools to give pupils a head start in money lessons
- Credit: Archant
MP Sir Jim Paice is encouraging schools in South East Cambs to get ahead of the pack and put on money lessons this June, to give pupils a head-start in financial education before it becomes a compulsory part of the curriculum in September.
Every primary and secondary school in South East Cambridgeshire is being given the chance to take part in My Money Week, which aims to help young people learn more about money and personal finance, free.
This year, My Money Week, running from June 9-15, will be themed around current affairs, challenging young people to improve their financial skills, knowledge and confidence through topical lessons and activities on personal finance.
Sir Jim said: “I would encourage all our local schools to get involved with this fantastic initiative. It can only be positive for more children to learn about the value of money and the importance of effective budgeting.
“It is a lesson that, unfortunately, many people have to learn the hard way as they get older. I am sure the vast majority of parents will appreciate their children having money lessons.”
You may also want to watch:
Tracey Bleakley, chief executive of the Personal Finance Education Group, which is running the My Money Week lessons, said: “Jim Paice is absolutely right to call for all local schools to take part in My Money Week, which is a terrific opportunity to help pupils learn more about money in a fun and engaging way.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity