Simon’s Grand gesture: Littleport man to trek across the Grand Canyon for Alzheimer’s Society
- Credit: Archant
A man from Littleport is to tie up his hiking boots and trek 150 kilometres across the Grand Canyon in the USA and hopes to raise £3,500 in the process.
Simon Allen, 24, is to walk across the canyon - one of the seven wonders of the world - in March of next year to raise money for Alzheimer’s Society.
Simon’s mammoth walk is inspired by his grandfather, Gerald Allen, 87, who suffers from dementia.
Mr Allen said: “By taking part in this trek and raising money, I hope I can, in some small way, help to prevent other families having the sadness of watching this condition slowly take their loved ones away.”
The 24-year-old and his family are also putting on a number of events in the months leading to the big trek to try and hit his goal of £3,500.
Simon’s father is getting involved in the fundraiding by waving good-bye to his hair in a sponsored head shave on November 7.
Peter Allen, 57, also of Littleport, is getting trimmed at the Ely branch of Nationwide at 10am, with the bank offering to double any proceeds made over the total of £100.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
The Allen family is also inviting members of the public to take part in their weekly quiz night at Black Horse Drove, Littleport on Friday November 13 at 7pm, with all proceeds going to Alzheimer’s Society.
Alongside the head shave and quiz night, the Allen family is also holding a curry night at the Spice Lounge in Littleport on Friday November 1.
Simon has raised £570 so far, with five months to go until he flies to Arizona to take on the canyon.
For more information on Simon’s monster quest or to donate, please visit www.justgiving.com/Simon-Allen11.