Simon’s Grand gesture: Littleport man to trek across the Grand Canyon for Alzheimer’s Society
- Credit: Archant
A man from Littleport is to tie up his hiking boots and trek 150 kilometres across the Grand Canyon in the USA and hopes to raise £3,500 in the process.
Simon Allen, 24, is to walk across the canyon - one of the seven wonders of the world - in March of next year to raise money for Alzheimer’s Society.
Simon’s mammoth walk is inspired by his grandfather, Gerald Allen, 87, who suffers from dementia.
Mr Allen said: “By taking part in this trek and raising money, I hope I can, in some small way, help to prevent other families having the sadness of watching this condition slowly take their loved ones away.”
The 24-year-old and his family are also putting on a number of events in the months leading to the big trek to try and hit his goal of £3,500.
You may also want to watch:
Simon’s father is getting involved in the fundraiding by waving good-bye to his hair in a sponsored head shave on November 7.
Peter Allen, 57, also of Littleport, is getting trimmed at the Ely branch of Nationwide at 10am, with the bank offering to double any proceeds made over the total of £100.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
The Allen family is also inviting members of the public to take part in their weekly quiz night at Black Horse Drove, Littleport on Friday November 13 at 7pm, with all proceeds going to Alzheimer’s Society.
Alongside the head shave and quiz night, the Allen family is also holding a curry night at the Spice Lounge in Littleport on Friday November 1.
Simon has raised £570 so far, with five months to go until he flies to Arizona to take on the canyon.
For more information on Simon’s monster quest or to donate, please visit www.justgiving.com/Simon-Allen11.