Signs leave us baffled
HAVE you spotted any baffled tourists in Ely looking for the High Street? Maybe you have seen some poor souls lost and in need of relief when nature calls . . . Ely city councillor Nora Covell may have an explanation – some of the city s tourist signs are
HAVE you spotted any baffled tourists in Ely looking for the High Street? Maybe you have seen some poor souls lost and in need of relief when nature calls . . .
Ely city councillor Nora Covell may have an explanation - some of the city's tourist signs are a little confusing and some are just plain wrong.
The problem was brought to Cllr Covell's attention when somebody stopped her in the street and asked her where the nearest toilet was. She said there was one close by, on Palace Green, but the information conflicted with a tourist sign he had seen that informs people the nearest public convenience is a quarter of a mile away.
She then noticed that the sign outside the Lloyds TSB bank read 'Shopping Centre 270 yards'.
You may also want to watch:
"If it means Tesco," she said, "surely it should read 'superstore' and the sign for the shopping centre should point down the High Street."
The sharp-eyed councillor also noticed an erroneously-spelt sign in the Magistrates' Court car park which reads 'No Unathorised Parking' (sic).
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
"I have reported these mistakes to tourism officers, district councillors and magistrates, but nothing is corrected," Cllr Covell said. "But I live in hope that eventually something will be done."
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Have you seen any confusing or miss-spelt signs? Write and tell us where they are, or even better take a photograph of the offending sign and send it or email it to us.
Write to: the editor, the Ely Standard, (A sign of the times?) 38 Market Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email: debbie. email@example.com