Sign up now to take part in this year’s Ely Potato Race
- Credit: Archant
The fifth annual Ely potato race returns in October - and organisers are appealing for local business to sign up to take part.
Isle of Ely Produce, of Littleport, is gearing up for the relay race which will see teams race up and down the High Street on Saturday October 14 from 11am. Each competitor will be required to run the race with a 20kg bag of potatoes on his or her back, and the two-man team from the Cambridge Ambulance Service were crowned champions in 2016.
The runners-up were Atrium Gym whilst the Sylhet Restaurant Ely came third and Dawn Lamb Fitness won the ladies race. Also running in 2016 was Widow Twankey from KD Theatre’s panto Aladdin.
Oliver Boutwood, director of Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing. More than 1,000 people lined the streets and helped us raise over £3,000, and help 10 local charities.”
If you would like to enter a team of two for the mens or ladies race email Austen at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also want to watch:
It costs £10 per team and places are limited.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident