Sign up now to take part in this year’s Ely Potato Race
- Credit: Archant
A potato producer is once again looking to put a little fun into this year’s harvest by running a potato race in Ely.
Isle of Ely Produce, of Littleport, is gearing up for the annual relay race which will see teams race from the farmers’ market, in Market Place, to the end of High Street near the cathedral.
Each competitor will be required to run the race with a 20kg bag of potatoes on his or her back.
Last year’s winner OJ Scott and his brother Adam - who ran for the A L Lee & Son stable - have moved on so a new winner will be crowned in 2014.
All competitors get to keep their potatoes as part of their entry fee.
You may also want to watch:
The race will be run at a fast and furious rate on Saturday, October 11, at 11am. It is organised by Isle of Ely Produce who use it to showcase more than 20 different local potato farmers. It coincides with the harvest festival which starts in the city on the same day.
It is hoped to eclipse the £2,000 raised last year for local charities.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 3 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 4 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 8 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 9 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 10 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
Austen Dack, marketing manager for Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing, more than 1,000 people lined the streets, and helped us raise over £2,000.
“The race fits nicely with our campaign which highlights the journey the potato makes from field to frier.”
If you would like to enter a team of two for the race please email Austen at firstname.lastname@example.org, it is £10 per team and places are very limited.