Sign up now to take part in this year’s Ely Potato Race
- Credit: Archant
A potato producer is once again looking to put a little fun into this year’s harvest by running a potato race in Ely.
Isle of Ely Produce, of Littleport, is gearing up for the annual relay race which will see teams race from the farmers’ market, in Market Place, to the end of High Street near the cathedral.
Each competitor will be required to run the race with a 20kg bag of potatoes on his or her back.
Last year’s winner OJ Scott and his brother Adam - who ran for the A L Lee & Son stable - have moved on so a new winner will be crowned in 2014.
All competitors get to keep their potatoes as part of their entry fee.
You may also want to watch:
The race will be run at a fast and furious rate on Saturday, October 11, at 11am. It is organised by Isle of Ely Produce who use it to showcase more than 20 different local potato farmers. It coincides with the harvest festival which starts in the city on the same day.
It is hoped to eclipse the £2,000 raised last year for local charities.
- 1 Independent shop full of fresh food – despite national shortage
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 3 Mark's 27 unanswered questions over volunteers to control parking
- 4 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 7 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 8 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
Austen Dack, marketing manager for Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing, more than 1,000 people lined the streets, and helped us raise over £2,000.
“The race fits nicely with our campaign which highlights the journey the potato makes from field to frier.”
If you would like to enter a team of two for the race please email Austen at email@example.com, it is £10 per team and places are very limited.