Shop Lifter Stole Champagne To Fund Heroin Habit
THREE bottles of champagne were stolen by shoplifter Melanie Bonas. Her companion had put the bubbly into a basket – and then Bonas transferred the stolen booze into a bag she was carrying. She took the items to sell, because she was in dire straights,
THREE bottles of champagne were stolen by shoplifter Melanie Bonas.
Her companion had put the bubbly into a basket - and then Bonas transferred the stolen booze into a bag she was carrying.
"She took the items to sell, because she was in dire straights," solicitor Lowri Roberts explained to Ely magistrates.
Bonas, 31, of Partridge Road, Ipswich, admitted stealing �86.97-worth of champagne from the Co-op store in Burwell on August 16. She had also admitted stealing a bottle of washing up liquid from McColls newsagents in Mildenhall on April 26.
You may also want to watch:
"She took the washing up liquid on the spur of the moment because it was needed, and she did not have enough money to pay for it," added Miss Roberts.
Bonas, who has a prescription for the heroin substitute methadone, was given a 12-month supervision order. The court ordered her to pay �86.97 compensation and �30 costs.
- 1 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 2 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 8 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack