“Shocked” walkers discover six cats dumped in a wheelie bin
- Credit: Archant
There was a lucky escape for six cats after they were discovered by chance dumped in a wheelie bin near Wicken Fen.
The moggies, aged between two and five-years-old, were found by walkers near a the nature reserve after their pet dog began barking and scratching at the discarded bin.
Alan Maskell, centre manager at the Blue Cross rehoming centre in Cambridge, said: “Luckily some walkers came across the bin and were alerted to it by their dog. When they opened the lid they found six cats staring up at them – they were completely shocked.”
The cats were immediately taken to the Cambridge rehoming centre, where they were thoroughly checked by vets and given food.
Alan added: “It’s a dreadful case – the poor cats must have been terrified. Whoever did this must have intentionally dumped the bin as it was in the middle of nowhere.
You may also want to watch:
“The cats were in good condition, some are neutered and they are all very friendly considering what they’ve been through, so they must have been cared for at some point.
“The cats would have died if they weren’t found – they are very lucky to be alive and we will do our best to find them new families.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
The six cats are now named Tamara, Meenie, Cleopatra, Holly, Cinders and Peter and are looking for new homes, either in pairs or on their own.
If you can give one of these cats a new start please contact our Cambridge centre on 0300 790 9903 or visit their rehoming pages.