Shenanigans in Shakespeare hit
A Midsummer Night s Dream by The lord Chamberlain s Men IN the idyllic surroundings of the Priory Gardens within sight of Ely Cathedral, the Lord Chamberlain s Men frolicked through A Midsummer Night s Dream to the delight of the relaxed audience. Authent
A Midsummer Night's Dream by The lord
IN the idyllic surroundings of the Priory Gardens within sight of Ely Cathedral, the Lord Chamberlain's Men frolicked through A Midsummer Night's Dream to the delight of the relaxed audience. Authentic casting and boisterous shenanigans of the highest comic order gave us insight into Shakespeare's talent.
The anxiety-ridden path of true love, agonising antics of the over-enthusiastic amateur at work and the tension-filled power structures of the society of Shakespeare's day were all clothed in wonderful humour by these real professionals.
You may also want to watch:
Seven youthful actors filled the roles with amazing alacrity and skill. The actors whirled through the plot, changing their costumes, posture, voice inflections and gestures so that we became thoroughly involved in the different characters and their predicaments. Effective part-singing and background music also helped the changes.
Highlights included: Helena's tremendous reactions - ranging from outright despair at her powerful but unrequited love for Demetrius and her incredulous facial expressions at the sudden changes of events, Bottom's wonderfully grandiose gestures and the amazing twists and turns as the confused lovers squabbled with much flinging about the stage. Their portrayal of bumbling amateurs in their home-sun play arguing with the audience mid-performance also helped to develop an uplifting and memorable event.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
The cast and their main characterisations included: Garry Jenkins (Helena); Edward Harrison (Bottom / Demetrius); Connor Williams (Oberon); Ben Tolley (Lysander); Andrew Young (Titania); Joe Elwood (Hermia) and David Hughes (Puck).
INFO: contact www.lordchamberlainsmen.co.uk