She’s just 9 but Ely roller skater Chantel scoops three national titles
ELY Roller Skating Club member Chantel Lyon has her eyes set on international glory after skating her way to three national titles.
The nine-year-old stormed to victory in the tots’ girls’ figures, free skating and combined categories at the British Roller Skating Championships.
The West Norfolk Primary School pupil is now hoping to get into the national skating squad following her success at the championships, which were held in Peterborough last weekend.
She said: “I was really ecstatic to win on Saturday because I didn’t think I was going to win them.
“I now want to be part of England squad and enter international competitions.”
You may also want to watch:
The skating star was inspired to get into skating after watching television programme Dancing on Ice which stars Olympic gold medallists Torvill and Dean.
Chantel added: “I enjoy roller skating because you get to make new friends and get to do all the competitions.
- 1 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 2 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 3 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 7 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 8 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 9 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 10 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
“I’d like to thank my trainer Brian Paddington and all the girls at the club for supporting me.”
Her mum Kim added: “I’m very proud of her. She started skating when she was six and at the time it was just meant to be a little hobby and something to keep her amused.
“But now she wants to do it when she grows up and wants to skate for England which is fantastic.”