Share your memories of Soham in the 50s for new history project
- Credit: Archant
IN the year the 60th anniversary of the first Soham Carnival is to be celebrated, Soham Museum is calling on residents to share their memories of the 1950s for a new book commemorating the occasion.
The project, which will be led by Donna Martin and Ann Roberts of Soham Museum, aims to record life in Soham in the 50s as well as any special memories of the first Soham Carnival or Queen Elizabeth’s coronation.
Donna said: “We would love to hear from anyone who has a story to tell and would like to share it with others. There were very few televisions in Soham in 1953, but we know that family, friends, and neighbours crammed into living rooms all over Soham to watch the coronation.
The 60th anniversary of the first Soham Carnival, held in 1953 to celebrate the coronation, will be celebrated at this year’s carnival on Monday, May 27.
Donna added: “We would really like to record peoples’ memories of these events. As the official custodians of Soham’s history, we are aware of the importance of recording memories of the past, as this is what makes the history of the future.”
You may also want to watch:
Soham Museum which is celebrating its 15th anniversary in June, will work closely with Soham Library and Igiskillsbuild Ltd to give people the opportunity to take part in the project.
The project, entitled All About Us, will run for three months before a book is prepared and released later this year.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 7 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
The museum would like to hear from anyone who has memories of Soham in the 1950s as well as anyone who would like to share any photographs or documents from the period.
For more information visit the Soham Museum display at Soham Library or contact email@example.com or Igiskilllsbuild Ltd on 07525916848.