Sergeant’s big night out
ELY Police Sergeant Alan Savill was pipped at the post for a national award as Community Police Officer of the Year. The north neighbourhood beat sergeant was selected to represent Cambridgeshire at the awards ceremony after beating off fierce competiti
ELY Police Sergeant Alan Savill was pipped at the post for a national award as Community Police Officer of the Year.
The north neighbourhood beat sergeant was selected to represent Cambridgeshire at the awards' ceremony after beating off fierce competition from throughout the force.
He was nominated by Ely police sector inspector Adam Gallop for being instrumental in achieving a significant reduction in crime in the Ely area.
Cambridgeshire police chief constable, Julie Spence, chose Sgt Savill to travel to London last Thursday for a gala dinner held by awards' organisers, Jane's Police Review, when national winners were announced.
Sgt Savill said: "The reduction in crime has been achieved by the excellent team of officers and staff that I have been privileged to lead. I was surprised to have been nominated for the award."
The gala dinner was compered by BBC Crimewatch presenter, Nick Ross, and Sgt Savill was presented with his award by Home Secretary, John Reed.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 8 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 9 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 10 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
The overall winner, from Northumbria, will now receive a £3,000 bursary to travel overseas to experience community policing in another country.
Pc Karen Corp, based at Cambridge's Parkside Police Station was also beaten to the title of Student Officer of the Year but received a medal and certificate at the gala dinner.