Ely air cadets welcome return of former member in first parade of New Year
- Credit: Archant
Ely air cadets opened their first parade night of the New Year by welcoming a former member to the team.
Sergeant Jean Donoghue donned her uniform on her return to the setup, where she will become the squadron's Duke of Edinburgh (DoE) officer, stores officer and adventure training officer.
Jean, who joined the squadron four years ago as a civilian instructor, helped relaunch the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and is a staff member of the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing Road Marching Team.
A spokesperson said: "Two other civilian instructors who joined made their intentions clear that they wish to follow in her footsteps and go into uniform as soon as possible to help lead the Ely cadets to greater success."
In her youth, Jean was a cadet warrant officer with the 444 (Shoreditch) squadron before she became a DoE award scheme leader in London.
You may also want to watch:
Four Ely cadets will be led by Jean when they travel to the capital to collect their DoE gold award certificates later this year.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse