Sentence is a good idea’
A WOMAN who collapsed in the dock of Ely courthouse last week was given a four month suspended jail sentence on Thursday. Alcoholic Rosemary West looked fit and well as she told the magistrates: I have a drink problem which I am addressing. She had admi
A WOMAN who collapsed in the dock of Ely courthouse last week was given a four month suspended jail sentence on Thursday.
Alcoholic Rosemary West looked fit and well as she told the magistrates: "I have a drink problem which I am addressing."
She had admitted stealing a £5.99 bottle of Martini from the One Stop store in Ely in January.
"She was caught stealing but ran off, and was not arrested until February 14," said prosecutor Delia Matthews.
You may also want to watch:
"Things are slightly complicated, because she has a number of similar convictions for theft."
West, 53, formerly of Collier Close in Ely but now living in Chatteris, was already subject to two supervision orders imposed for previous shoplifting offences. She said a suspended jail sentence was a good idea. "It will help with my recovery," she said.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
West's four month sentence was suspended for one year. She was given a two-year supervision order, and told to pay £70 costs and £6 compensation.
# Last week West had to be helped from the courtroom after appearing to lose consciousness, and was taken to hospital.