Sentence is a good idea’
A WOMAN who collapsed in the dock of Ely courthouse last week was given a four month suspended jail sentence on Thursday. Alcoholic Rosemary West looked fit and well as she told the magistrates: I have a drink problem which I am addressing. She had admi
A WOMAN who collapsed in the dock of Ely courthouse last week was given a four month suspended jail sentence on Thursday.
Alcoholic Rosemary West looked fit and well as she told the magistrates: "I have a drink problem which I am addressing."
She had admitted stealing a £5.99 bottle of Martini from the One Stop store in Ely in January.
"She was caught stealing but ran off, and was not arrested until February 14," said prosecutor Delia Matthews.
"Things are slightly complicated, because she has a number of similar convictions for theft."
West, 53, formerly of Collier Close in Ely but now living in Chatteris, was already subject to two supervision orders imposed for previous shoplifting offences. She said a suspended jail sentence was a good idea. "It will help with my recovery," she said.
- 1 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 7 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 8 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
West's four month sentence was suspended for one year. She was given a two-year supervision order, and told to pay £70 costs and £6 compensation.
# Last week West had to be helped from the courtroom after appearing to lose consciousness, and was taken to hospital.