Send me to jail’
HEROIN addict Christopher Silk will be spending Christmas in jail – because he told magistrates it was the best place for him. He had admitted committing a spate of thefts to fund his drug habit, and on Thursday his wish was granted and the 22-year-old wa
HEROIN addict Christopher Silk will be spending Christmas in jail - because he told magistrates it was the best place for him.
He had admitted committing a spate of thefts to fund his drug habit, and on Thursday his wish was granted and the 22-year-old was given a 10-month sentence.
Silk, of Windmill Close, Ely, had admitted stealing men's fragrances worth £125 from Boots in Peterborough, a magnetic sticker machine worth £19.99 from Woolworths, in Ely, and some frozen pizzas from the One-Stop Shop, in Ely.
He further admitted stealing £371 worth of goods from a supermarket in Bury St Edmunds, and admitted breaching two community orders, imposed earlier this year for offences of theft and burglary.
You may also want to watch:
Silk appeared before Ely Magistrates, and had written a letter telling them: "My family have supported me throughout my problems but there comes a time when it all becomes too much for them.
"Having found myself in prison I now feel it is the best place for me to be.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash