SELF-PRAISING FLOWER: Judges from the annual Anglia in Bloom competition check out some of the displays in Ely. The city will be hoping to improve on last year s silver award and gain qualification to Britain in Bloom. Philip Eden, from the Ely in Bloom C
SELF-PRAISING FLOWER: Judges from the annual Anglia in Bloom competition check out some of the displays in Ely.
The city will be hoping to improve on last year's silver award and gain qualification to Britain in Bloom.
Philip Eden, from the Ely in Bloom Committee, said: "We've definitely improved in several areas. Scouts have created a wonderful fleur-de-lys in front of Ely Police Station, an area of Militia Way looks magnificent, and judges were also very impressed with the Jubilee Gardens and hanging baskets in the Market Square.
"The judges seemed to be really enthusiastic about Ely as a whole.
"It's been a really big community effort and people all over Ely have worked for months to transform the city. We'll just have to sit tight for the results."
The announcement is expected in mid-September.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 4 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 5 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 9 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 10 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you