Select committee role for SE Cambs MP
- Credit: Archant
South East Cambridgeshire MP Lucy Frazer has been elected to sit on the education select committee.
The cross-party committee scrutinises Government education policy and monitors public bodies, including Ofsted.
Mrs Frazer said: “I am delighted to be able to take on a key role in ensuring the Government delivers an excellent education programme.
“I remain committed to ensuring that our children receive the best funding, quality of teaching and opportunities available, and it is a privilege to be part of the committee which can help to deliver this.”
Last month, Mrs Frazer raised the issue of fairer funding for Cambridgeshire schools in her maiden speech in the House of Commons.
You may also want to watch:
She spoke about the work of her parents and grandparents as teachers and educators and called on the Government to introduce a fairer funding system for all pupils.
She said: “Equality of opportunity is at the heart of any respectable democratic country. A good education should be available to all, no matter what background they come from or where they live, which is why it is so important that we have a fair funding formula for our education nationally—a formula that provides per pupil funding which is more consistent across the country.”
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze