Security Officer Who Was Put In A Headlock is Awarded Compensation
A SECURITY officer who was put in a headlock by a shoplifter was awarded �100 in compensation this week. Ryan Lebrun had been left struggling for breath when he was assaulted by thief Richard Webb, who had stolen nearly �200-worth of ink cartridges from t
A SECURITY officer who was put in a headlock by a shoplifter was awarded �100 in compensation this week.
Ryan Lebrun had been left struggling for breath when he was assaulted by thief Richard Webb, who had stolen nearly �200-worth of ink cartridges from the Tesco store in Ely.
Webb was taken to a room, where he put Mr Lebrun in a headlock, and pushed his arm into the back of his neck. Mr Lebrun struggled for breath, and punched Webb to make him let go, said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
Webb, 27, of Clover Way, Red Lodge, had earlier denied stealing �195 worth of ink cartridges and assaulting the security officer on August 12 last year, but was convicted after a trial.
You may also want to watch:
This week, magistrates sentenced Webb, giving him a four-month curfew order, which will keep him indoors at home between 6am and 6pm. As well as paying compensation to Mr Lebrun, he must pay �150 costs.
"This was someone doing his job, protecting the public from having to pay more for their goods because people take things from a shop; and you attacked him in a very unpleasant way," said presiding magistrate Sue Griffin.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested