Search begins for the next Fenland poet laureate
- Credit: Archant
A competition has been launched to find this year’s Fenland poet laureate.
Budding poets are being asked to create a piece of Fen-themed work that will be considered by a panel of judges.
The competition is a chance for writers from across East Cambridgeshire and Fenland to come together and share their poetry.
The initiative is run by Ely-based ADeC and Atelier East, working in partnership with Fen Speak and the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.
The current Fenland poet laureate is Poppy Kleiser, of Wisbech, and past winners have included Leanne Moden, from Ely.
You may also want to watch:
Poppy said: “Being Fenland poet laureate has kicked started my poetry career. Both the landscape and communities of Fenland have been inspirational, and I know the project has become a vital cog in developing the artistic movement emerging rapidly from the area.”
The competition organisers are looking for poems that represent and relate to theme Fenland. You can interpret the theme in any way you choose.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 6 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
First, second and third places will be awarded to three of the poets in both the adult category and the young (10-17) category. Certificates of achievement will be given to all shortlisted and commended entrants.
All shortlisted and commended poets will be invited to the special awards evening on Friday, March 27, at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.
Deadlines for entry is midnight on Friday, January 30.
Send your poem, along with a cover email with your name, email address, telephone number, address, age group entered (10-17, or 18+) and the title of the poem to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can pick up an entry form from your local library or museum and post your entry to the Wisbech and Fenland Museum.