SE Cambs MP “keen to get on with the job” as she begins life in Parliament
- Credit: Archant
South East Cambridgeshire’s new MP has vowed to act on all the issues she campaigned on as she begins life in the Houses of Parliament.
Lucy Frazer was overwhelmingly backed by voters at the General Election, securing a 16,000-vote majority as she held on to the seat for the Conservatives.
After a week of inductions in Westminster, mother-of-two Mrs Frazer says she will focussing her attention on the issues she was campaigning on in the run up to her election.
She said: “I’m very keen to get on with all the things I campaigned on; fairer funding for our schools, improving infrastructure and supporting business. But people are already e-mailing me with issues that they have got so I’m keen to just start helping people in their everyday lives.
“I’m absolutely honoured to be the representative for South East Cambridgeshire, that’s the job that I’ve been given and that’s the job that I will do.
“That has very much been the message in our induction programme, you can’t just get elected and do whatever you want. We have been elected to do a job and that is the job I am very much looking forward to doing.”
Speaking about her first week in Parliament, Mrs Frazer said she had enjoyed the “upbeat atmosphere” among the new inductees into the house.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
She said: “It’s absolutely exciting, it’s really, really thrilling and it’s great to be here. There’s a really upbeat atmosphere and I’m very keen to get started.
“There’s a lot of new MPs, so it’s great to have people who are going through the same experience as you. Everyone is very nice, everyone is extremely welcoming so hopefully, after a few weeks, it will seem like we’re a little less new.”