SE Cambridgeshire’s new MP makes commons debut
- Credit: Archant
New South East Cambridgeshire MP Lucy Frazer made her maiden speech in the House of Commons on Thursday.
Mrs Frazer was among a number of new MPs invited to make their debut by the deputy speaker of the house, Lindsay Hoyle, and she used her allotted six minutes to pay tribute to her predecessor Sir Jim Paice and raise the issues of education funding.
She spoke about the work of her parents and grandparents as teachers and educators and called on the Government to introduce a fairer funding system for all pupils.
She said: “Equality of opportunity is at the heart of any respectable democratic country. A good education should be available to all, no matter what background they come from or where they live, which is why it is so important that we have a fair funding formula for our education nationally—a formula that provides per pupil funding which is more consistent across the country.”
Mrs Frazer went on to describe the history of the SE Cambridgeshire seat and also gave thanks to former MP Sir Jim Paice, who she succeeded as MP.
She said: “South East Cambridgeshire, the constituency I am fortunate to represent, has not troubled this house with a maiden speech for 28 years. It has been well served by the distinguished Sir James Paice for all that period.
“Sir James is an honourable, loyal and principled man, who has throughout his career stood up for farmers both within and outside the constituency. I know that he will be sorely missed in that community and many others.”
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 3 Petition launched to save village pub
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 6 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 7 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 8 Gay tweet pastor claims 'constructive dismissal' as school caretaker
- 9 'Our dog was our motivation’ - couple behind organic dog treats business
- 10 Council chiefs left with 'no option' other than tax hike