Scouts from Ely join in the fun at an action packed county scout camp
MEMBERS of 1st Ely Scouts spent the weekend under canvas, when they joined in an action packed county scout camp held at Wood Green in Godmanchester.
Around 250 young people between the ages of ten and 17 were given the opportunity to experience a range of exciting activities, including archery, an assault course, canoeing, climbing, pioneering and shooting.
The camp also included a slippery pole , and a crate stacking challenge.
County Scout Camp Leader, Arthur Towler said “The weekend was a great success. County camp is a real challenge, but it isn’t just about activities for their own sake. We encourage scouts to try something new, feel the buzz of the achievement, and then reflect on what that means.”
Scouting is growing in Cambridgeshire, over the past five years there has been a big increase in membership, with more girls and teenagers joining the movement.
You may also want to watch:
Around 1,000 adult volunteers give up their time to support more than 5,000 young people involved in scouting in Cambridgeshire. It is estimated that adults gave up more than 4,000 hours of free time to enable the camp to go ahead.
- 1 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 2 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 6 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 7 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 8 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'