Scouting More Popular In Ely, But Leaders Needed
SCOUTING is becoming more popular in the Ely District with 75 new members contributing to a 55 per cent growth since January 31 2007, including 15 per cent since January 31 2009. Record numbers of teenagers in the Ely area are joining the Scout movement,
SCOUTING is becoming more popular in the Ely District with 75 new members
contributing to a 55 per cent growth since January 31 2007, including 15 per cent since January 31 2009.
Record numbers of teenagers in the Ely area are joining the Scout movement, up 20 per cent on 2009. This means there are now around 60 teenagers in Scouting in the Ely area - one of the fastest growth areas in the UK.
For the second year running, The Scout Association has seen a rise in adult leaders in the Ely area with growth up from 13 per cent in 2009 to 15 per cent this year. But despite this growth, overall waiting lists to join Scouting remain at an all-time high due to Ely being one of the fastest growing centres of population in the UK and the need for more adult volunteers particularly in Ely, Haddenham, Littleport and Witchford.
You may also want to watch:
Explorer Scout Ben, 17, from Little Downham said: "What I enjoy most about scouting is that I am always learning new life skills. Joining the scouts is the best move I have ever made: it's made me who I am today and I'm sure it's the same with everyone else."
Leader, Diane Philbey from Littleport said: "I've been a Beaver Leader at Littleport for 16 years now and I love it. I decided I wanted to get involved to give something back to young people in my community. But I've really benefitted as well. I have learned many new skills which I can use in my everyday life too. It's great fun and you get to make lots of new friends."
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
Pic cap: Youngsters are clamouring to join the Scout movement in the Ely area but more adult volunteers are needed to satisfy demand for places.