Scott Court residents donate cafe proceeds to good causes
- Credit: Archant
Funds raised by a community café in Sutton were divided between two charities this week.
Staff at Nellie’s Community Café presented Guide Dogs for the Blind and the East Anglian Air Ambulance with cheques for £538 and £777 respectively.
The money was raised from the proceeds of the café, which runs twice monthly at Scott Court sheltered housing.
There are 10 volunteers who operate the cafe serving up to 50 people at each of the two sessions, which are held on the second Wednesday and last Friday of the month from 10am to 2pm.
Diners receive a coloured token and are asked to vote for one of two charities nominated every six months. Money raised is then divided between the two depending on the number of votes received.
You may also want to watch:
Charities that have been supported so far include Magpas, the local Friday games club, Sutton’s GP surgery and Help for Heroes.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review