Scores of parking tickets issued as police step up campaign against problem parking
- Credit: Archant
Police say they have issued more than 170 tickets since December as the battle against problem parking in Ely’s city centre continues.
Officers turned their attention to the issue after a string of complaints from residents and, at a Neighbourhood Panel meeting in December, they agreed to make it a policing priority.
Barely three months on, and police say they have handed out some 173 tickets to motorists parked illegally in the city centre.
PCSO Maria Robinson said: “Fore Hill was an area that was highlighted as having issues due to vehicles parking at the top of the hill too close to the junction and causing an obstruction to other road users.
“This has been addressed by officers taking photographs of offending vehicles causing the obstruction at the time and issuing fixed penalty notices. To date, 37 penalty notices have been issuing at this location.
You may also want to watch:
“The pedestrian zone in High Street that is in place on Saturdays between 10am and 4pm has been monitored and enforced where applicable. To date, 36 fixed penalty notices have been issued at this location.”
PCSO Robinson added that, since December some 173 fixed penalty notices had been issued to vehicles that have been parked illegally within Ely City.
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Police increase patrols after reports of criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Councillor shares 'perfect' vaccine experience to encourage others
- 9 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 10 Ex-councillor launches 'one million steps' charity challenge
She added: “Officers will continue to work along side the public to address the on going problem.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Is problem parking a real issue in Ely’s city centre? Are tickets the best way to tackle it? Write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF or e-mail email@example.com