School will close to honour teacher
ST Andrew’s School in Soham will be closed on Monday as a mark of respect to a teacher who died suddenly at home last week.
Liz Arnold, 52, who had been a teacher at St Andrew’s for almost 19 years, died at her home on Townsend on March 15.
Mrs Arnold was head of Key Stage One at the small village school and was a much-loved and respected member of staff and the community.
In a letter sent home to parents on Tuesday, St Andrew’s head teacher Richard Liddington paid tribute to Mrs Arnold, describing her as an “extremely popular” member of staff.
Mr Liddington said that a celebration of thanksgiving for Mrs Arnold was due to be held on Monday at St Andrew’s Church and added that the decision had been made to close the school for the day so that staff and parents could attend and pay their respects.
“As I hope you will appreciate, Mrs Arnold was an extremely popular member of staff who taught at St Andrew’s School for almost 19 years and all staff would therefore like to attend the thanksgiving service,” said Mr Liddington, in a letter to parents.
“Having discussed this with Governors, we have come to the unanimous agreement that we would like to close the school for the entire day next Monday.”
- 1 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 5 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' following A1303 crash
- 6 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 7 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 8 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 9 Budding musicians hit the right note at 25th annual awards evening
- 10 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
The school has set up a book of condolence which will remain in the entrance until Friday when it will be passed on to Mrs Arnold’s family.
Mr Liddington said that the school would also be planning a separate service of thanksgiving to remember Mrs Arnold, though no date has yet been announced.
The service of thanksgiving will be taking place from 11.30am at St Andrew’s Church and Mrs Arnold’s family have requested that any donations be made to the school’s swimming pool project.