School receives glowing praise from inspectors
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s Highfield Special School has been rated as good with outstanding features by Government inspectors.
The Downham Road school was praised across the board by Ofsted for its quality of teaching, pupil safety and the leadership of head teacher, Simon Bainbridge.
Ofsted inspector, Margaret Goodchild said: “The head teacher provides outstanding leadership and is driven in his quest for excellence. He has brought about a lot of positive change since the previous inspection and the school is strongly placed to improve further.
“The head teacher’s high expectations have created a culture where teaching can flourish and where pupils are expected to behave well.”
Mrs Goodchild also praised the quality of teaching, saying that staff had high expectations of pupils and had a thorough understanding of their needs.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Teachers nearly always use information about pupils’ needs to plan lessons that provide the right level of challenge and they always explain to them what they are expected to learn.
“Teachers and teaching assistants are readily available to help pupils who need it, and the staff provide a great deal of encouragement and clear feedback about how well pupils have done.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
In order to become an outstanding school, inspectors said staff needed to raise the achievement of sixth form students and improve the teaching of pupils with profound and multiple learning difficulties.