School Friends Celebrate The Big 4-0 up a Mountain
SOME people celebrate their big 4-0 birthday with a party, others take the family out to dinner. But a group of former school friends have decided to do something a little more strenuous - they are planning to climb the four highest peaks in England to mark the occasion.
The six men - brothers Tim Peacock and Adam Peacock, Andrew Garner, Steve Fletcher, Carl Revens and Justin Hunt - are off to the Lake District to scale the mountains in June, and hope the 4@40 challenge will raise more than �2,000 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
Adam and Tim’s father suffers from Alzheimers, being diagnosed when just in his 50s. Adam said: “We are very lucky that our family has supportive friends, and we are lucky that Dad’s illness has progressed slowly.
“It was Andrew who came up with the idea of doing the charity walk, we wanted to undertake a challenge and raise some money at the same time.”
The six friends, who all attended Ely College, plan to climb Skiddaw on the first day, Scafell and Scafell Pike on the second day and then Helvellyn on the third day.
Adam added: “We are all at different levels of fitness, and some of us are having to train to take on the climbs back to back. After climbing the mountains over three days, we hope to have another couple of days in the Lake District, taking in the mountain scenery and doing a few more walks.”
* The men are holding a fund raising 70s and 80s disco for the Alzheimers Society at Littleport Leisure Centre on Saturday April 28. Tickets cost �3 for adults and �1.50 for children. For tickets, ring 01353 860600 or Kerry on 07823333242.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
To sponsor the walkers, go to their Justgiving website: www.justgiving.com/4peaks40