School Friends Celebrate The Big 4-0 up a Mountain
SOME people celebrate their big 4-0 birthday with a party, others take the family out to dinner. But a group of former school friends have decided to do something a little more strenuous - they are planning to climb the four highest peaks in England to mark the occasion.
The six men - brothers Tim Peacock and Adam Peacock, Andrew Garner, Steve Fletcher, Carl Revens and Justin Hunt - are off to the Lake District to scale the mountains in June, and hope the 4@40 challenge will raise more than �2,000 for the Alzheimer’s Society.
Adam and Tim’s father suffers from Alzheimers, being diagnosed when just in his 50s. Adam said: “We are very lucky that our family has supportive friends, and we are lucky that Dad’s illness has progressed slowly.
“It was Andrew who came up with the idea of doing the charity walk, we wanted to undertake a challenge and raise some money at the same time.”
The six friends, who all attended Ely College, plan to climb Skiddaw on the first day, Scafell and Scafell Pike on the second day and then Helvellyn on the third day.
You may also want to watch:
Adam added: “We are all at different levels of fitness, and some of us are having to train to take on the climbs back to back. After climbing the mountains over three days, we hope to have another couple of days in the Lake District, taking in the mountain scenery and doing a few more walks.”
* The men are holding a fund raising 70s and 80s disco for the Alzheimers Society at Littleport Leisure Centre on Saturday April 28. Tickets cost �3 for adults and �1.50 for children. For tickets, ring 01353 860600 or Kerry on 07823333242.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
To sponsor the walkers, go to their Justgiving website: www.justgiving.com/4peaks40