Sarah Oldham: Parents and Friends Plant Tree In Her Memory
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday. Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday.
Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing of the parish council.
Family and friends had all helped to fund-raise to purchase the tree in memory of Sarah, who died at Addenbrooke's Hospital three days after the car she was a passenger in hit an electricity pylon. Hundreds of tributes to the popular Ely Sixth Form student poured into the Ely Standard website and the social networking site Facebook.
"Everyone has been brilliant," Mr Oldham told the Ely Standard before the ceremony.
"There is nobody we can single out. You hear so many things about young people these days - Sarah's friends have all been incredibly supportive."
Sarah had just turned 17 on New Year's Eve and hundreds of friends and well wishers attended a memorial service at St Andrew's Church in Sutton after she died.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 8 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 9 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
nFriends of Sarah will be jumping out of a plane to raise �2,000 for the Dogs Trust and Neurological Critical Care Unit at Addenbrooke's Hospital where Sarah was treated.
To sponsor Harriet or Victoria, who will make their parachute jump on March 29, drop in to Simon Taylor Hairdressing on Fore Hill, Ely, or call 01353 775900.
Sue and Mike Oldham plant Sarah's tree in Sutton, with the help of family and friends. 8407HD0309