Sarah Oldham: Parents and Friends Plant Tree In Her Memory
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday. Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday.
Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing of the parish council.
Family and friends had all helped to fund-raise to purchase the tree in memory of Sarah, who died at Addenbrooke's Hospital three days after the car she was a passenger in hit an electricity pylon. Hundreds of tributes to the popular Ely Sixth Form student poured into the Ely Standard website and the social networking site Facebook.
"Everyone has been brilliant," Mr Oldham told the Ely Standard before the ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
"There is nobody we can single out. You hear so many things about young people these days - Sarah's friends have all been incredibly supportive."
Sarah had just turned 17 on New Year's Eve and hundreds of friends and well wishers attended a memorial service at St Andrew's Church in Sutton after she died.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 6 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 7 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 10 Our guide to The Library Presents' spring outdoor events series
nFriends of Sarah will be jumping out of a plane to raise �2,000 for the Dogs Trust and Neurological Critical Care Unit at Addenbrooke's Hospital where Sarah was treated.
To sponsor Harriet or Victoria, who will make their parachute jump on March 29, drop in to Simon Taylor Hairdressing on Fore Hill, Ely, or call 01353 775900.
Sue and Mike Oldham plant Sarah's tree in Sutton, with the help of family and friends. 8407HD0309