Sarah Oldham: Parents and Friends Plant Tree In Her Memory
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday. Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing
THE life of Sarah Oldham, the Sutton schoolgirl who died after a car crash in Mepal in January, was commemorated by family and friends on Thursday.
Mike Oldham and his wife Sue planted the apple blossom tree on Sutton recreation ground, with the blessing of the parish council.
Family and friends had all helped to fund-raise to purchase the tree in memory of Sarah, who died at Addenbrooke's Hospital three days after the car she was a passenger in hit an electricity pylon. Hundreds of tributes to the popular Ely Sixth Form student poured into the Ely Standard website and the social networking site Facebook.
"Everyone has been brilliant," Mr Oldham told the Ely Standard before the ceremony.
"There is nobody we can single out. You hear so many things about young people these days - Sarah's friends have all been incredibly supportive."
Sarah had just turned 17 on New Year's Eve and hundreds of friends and well wishers attended a memorial service at St Andrew's Church in Sutton after she died.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 7 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 10 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
nFriends of Sarah will be jumping out of a plane to raise �2,000 for the Dogs Trust and Neurological Critical Care Unit at Addenbrooke's Hospital where Sarah was treated.
To sponsor Harriet or Victoria, who will make their parachute jump on March 29, drop in to Simon Taylor Hairdressing on Fore Hill, Ely, or call 01353 775900.
Sue and Mike Oldham plant Sarah's tree in Sutton, with the help of family and friends. 8407HD0309