Santa stops off in Ely to spread festive cheer
FATHER Christmas completed his seasonal visit round the streets of Ely on Monday night with a little help from Ely’s Rotary Clubs.
Accompanied by a driver, a marshal, and team of collectors – all volunteers - over 11 nights they took Father Christmas out to meet the children of Ely, giving them the chance to tell him in person what they would like to receive on Christmas Day.
The clubs also collected money for local charities and good causes.
Despite the bitterly cold weather and frequent rain, many children – young and old - came out on the night to see Father Christmas, and the people of Ely dug deep in their pockets and purses to donate more than �6,500.
The money will be divided between the two Ely Rotary Clubs, The Ely Lions, and the Ely Inner Wheel, and distributed over the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the clubs said: “We are most grateful for the goodwill and generosity of the people we met whilst collecting, to the pupils and teachers from Ely College who came along to help and also to Vindis Cars, who provided the reindeer to pull Father Christmas’ sleigh.”
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 7 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 8 Win vouchers to spend at supermarket
- 9 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 10 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays