Santa stops off in Ely to spread festive cheer
FATHER Christmas completed his seasonal visit round the streets of Ely on Monday night with a little help from Ely’s Rotary Clubs.
Accompanied by a driver, a marshal, and team of collectors – all volunteers - over 11 nights they took Father Christmas out to meet the children of Ely, giving them the chance to tell him in person what they would like to receive on Christmas Day.
The clubs also collected money for local charities and good causes.
Despite the bitterly cold weather and frequent rain, many children – young and old - came out on the night to see Father Christmas, and the people of Ely dug deep in their pockets and purses to donate more than �6,500.
The money will be divided between the two Ely Rotary Clubs, The Ely Lions, and the Ely Inner Wheel, and distributed over the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the clubs said: “We are most grateful for the goodwill and generosity of the people we met whilst collecting, to the pupils and teachers from Ely College who came along to help and also to Vindis Cars, who provided the reindeer to pull Father Christmas’ sleigh.”
- 1 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 2 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 3 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 7 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 8 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 9 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 10 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her