Sainsbury's Say New Store Plans Were Greeted With Enthusiasm
MORE than 350 people turned out to view the plans for a new Sainsbury s store in Ely on Friday and Saturday. Sainsbury s development executive for the East of England, Robert Oxley said the proposals for the state-of-the-art store in Lisle Lane, were met
MORE than 350 people turned out to view the plans for a new Sainsbury's store in Ely on Friday and Saturday. Sainsbury's development executive for the East of England, Robert Oxley said the proposals for the state-of-the-art store in Lisle Lane, were met with enthusiasm from members of the public.
"We will now start sifting through exhibition questionnaire comments as we flesh out the proposals ahead of submitting a planning application. We will also continue discussions with the council, community groups and other stakeholders."
If the Sainsbury plan is given the go-ahead it could create more than 300 jobs for the local area. The proposal, earmarked on the old Ely Chemical Company site, will include a 470 space car park and a Sainsbury's will provide a shuttle bus service into the city centre. There will also be new traffic lights and improvements to the junctions close to the site, which has stood empty for some time.
District council leader Fred Brown has welcomed the news after telling the Ely Standard he thought Sainsbury's would be an asset to the city.
You may also want to watch:
The Ely Standard understands that if a planning application is submitted in the next few weeks it could be decided as early as September.
To view an artist impression of what the store, thought to be the most modern and innovative in the country, could look like, go to: www.elystandard24.co.uk
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 5 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 6 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 7 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 10 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Do you want to see Sainsbury set up shop in Ely?
Write to: the Ely Standard, 38 Market, Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.