Sainsbury's A Step Closer To Opening Store In Ely
SAINSBURY S has moved a step closer to opening a new store in Ely this week after the supermarket giant entered an application to demolish the old Ely Chemical Company building in Lisle Lane. The application to demolish and clear the brownfield site was
SAINSBURY'S has moved a step closer to opening a new store in Ely this week after the supermarket giant entered an application to demolish the old Ely Chemical Company building in Lisle Lane.
The application to demolish and clear the brownfield site was received by officers at ECDC on Tuesday and will have to be approved by officers before the full application for a new supermarket can be considered by councillors in April.
If given the go-ahead, the supermarket chain could begin clearing the site immediately, although planners confirmed that conditions on any permission may be put in place to protect nearby homes and businesses.
The chain first expressed an interest in opening a store in Ely in April and embarked on a series of public consultations. After receiving a positive response, 92 per cent of the 280 respondents said they were in favour of a new store, planners opted to push ahead with an application and finally submitted their 76-page dossier in June.
You may also want to watch:
If the full application is approved by councillors, the new store could bring around 350 full and part-time jobs to the area and will host a recycling facility, restaurant and 470 space car-park.
A dedicated shuttle bus service will also be introduced on site as well as a space for local dial-a-ride services.
- 1 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 2 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 8 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack