Sainsbury's A Step Closer To Opening Store In Ely
SAINSBURY S has moved a step closer to opening a new store in Ely this week after the supermarket giant entered an application to demolish the old Ely Chemical Company building in Lisle Lane. The application to demolish and clear the brownfield site was
SAINSBURY'S has moved a step closer to opening a new store in Ely this week after the supermarket giant entered an application to demolish the old Ely Chemical Company building in Lisle Lane.
The application to demolish and clear the brownfield site was received by officers at ECDC on Tuesday and will have to be approved by officers before the full application for a new supermarket can be considered by councillors in April.
If given the go-ahead, the supermarket chain could begin clearing the site immediately, although planners confirmed that conditions on any permission may be put in place to protect nearby homes and businesses.
The chain first expressed an interest in opening a store in Ely in April and embarked on a series of public consultations. After receiving a positive response, 92 per cent of the 280 respondents said they were in favour of a new store, planners opted to push ahead with an application and finally submitted their 76-page dossier in June.
You may also want to watch:
If the full application is approved by councillors, the new store could bring around 350 full and part-time jobs to the area and will host a recycling facility, restaurant and 470 space car-park.
A dedicated shuttle bus service will also be introduced on site as well as a space for local dial-a-ride services.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 3 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen