Sailor from Sutton graduates as mine warfare specialist
- Credit: Archant
A sailor from Sutton has graduated as a mine warfare specialist after completing his training at the Royal Navy’s HMS Collingwood.
Daryl Pickering, 18, joined the Royal Navy in April last year with a view to travelling the world.
Since joining, Daryl has represented the Navy at Armed Forces Day and supported local Hampshire communities when they suffered flooding during recent storms.
Originally from Sutton, where mother Louise still lives, Daryl said: “Throughout training I always said to myself, if you think you will hate it you will, but if you don’t you may enjoy it.
“Now I’m looking forward to travelling the world and experiencing different cultures.”
You may also want to watch:
During his 14-week course, Daryl was trained in the specialist areas of mine warfare, including the various types of mines, how they operate and how they’re used in war including disposal.
In addition, he also learnt how to detect mines and minefields using mine-hunting sonar and how to launch and operate the remote-controlled mine-disposal vehicle. After successfully completing the course, Daryl has now been drafted to HMS Hurworth, where he can exercise his training in a practical setting.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats