Sacrifice pays off for Ely mum Angela as she takes top spot at bodybuilding and fitness event
- Credit: Archant
Countless hours of training paid off for Ely’s Angela Richards as she came away with the top prize from a bodybuilding and fitness competition held in London.
The 40-year-old triumphed in her category at the World Beauty Fitness and Fashion event, at the O2 Arena on Sunday.
She said: “It was a bit of shock when I heard my name called out because you never expect that you are going to win. It took me a second to realise. But it is nice that all the hard work has paid off.
“If I can just inspire one person to get fit I think it will have been worth it. You don’t have to be 40 and sit at home on the couch in your cardigan.”
A technician for BT by day, mum-of-one Angela spent months lifting weights and getting in shape for the contest.
You may also want to watch:
She was inspired to take up weightlifting about two years ago after returning from her honeymoon and finding that she had piled on the pounds, despite taking regular exercise
She added: “I used to love Chinese, I would have two or three Chinese takeaways a week before I decided to start competing. It is probably the only thing I have missed.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
Despite sticking to a strict food regime before Sunday’s event, Angela celebrated her win with a pack of Oreo cookies.