Sacrifice pays off for Ely mum Angela as she takes top spot at bodybuilding and fitness event
- Credit: Archant
Countless hours of training paid off for Ely’s Angela Richards as she came away with the top prize from a bodybuilding and fitness competition held in London.
The 40-year-old triumphed in her category at the World Beauty Fitness and Fashion event, at the O2 Arena on Sunday.
She said: “It was a bit of shock when I heard my name called out because you never expect that you are going to win. It took me a second to realise. But it is nice that all the hard work has paid off.
“If I can just inspire one person to get fit I think it will have been worth it. You don’t have to be 40 and sit at home on the couch in your cardigan.”
A technician for BT by day, mum-of-one Angela spent months lifting weights and getting in shape for the contest.
She was inspired to take up weightlifting about two years ago after returning from her honeymoon and finding that she had piled on the pounds, despite taking regular exercise
She added: “I used to love Chinese, I would have two or three Chinese takeaways a week before I decided to start competing. It is probably the only thing I have missed.”
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
Despite sticking to a strict food regime before Sunday’s event, Angela celebrated her win with a pack of Oreo cookies.