Runners turn out for the return of the Beast
- Credit: Archant
Scores of hardy runners turned out to test themselves against the Sutton Beast on Sunday.
The annual 10k race takes competitors on a tour of Sutton and the surrounding Fens, taking in multiple terrains and testing inclines along the way.
This year, 160 entrants started the 14th running of the event and, to keep them going at mid distance, they were guided along by a ‘rock drummer’ playing a rhythm and making plenty of encouraging noises.
In a fast race, the first runner home was Kieran Drane in 36 mins 51 secs and the first female runner home was Sian Marie Lucas in a record time of 41mins 17seconds.
The event was well supported, with 240 competitors taking part in the mini beast fun run before the main event.
You may also want to watch:
Energie Fitness for Women provided a hugely popular aerobic warm up and the Beast himself was on hand to chase the runners out and see them all home.
Guests from Addenbrooke’s Charitable Trust were present as this year some of the proceeds will go to support them. The runners and families were entertained by Jacen Bruce and The Memphis Underground and the whole show was hosted by Donovan Blake of ITV Anglia News.
- 1 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens